Noticing that your child’s eyes are red can cause some parents to panic. The eyes are such a delicate and important feature that it is easy to get concerned over the first sign of the problem. Children’s Eye Center of Orange County is headed up by Dr. Golareh Fazilat, an experienced pediatric ophthalmologist who deals with all types of eye issues for children of all ages. Among her areas of expertise is providing red eye treatment for kids.
What causes red eye in kids?
Red eyes are a very common symptom and can be associated with several different potential causes, including:
- Pink eye (conjunctivitis) – A common eye infection among children that causes blood vessels to swell, making the eyes red or pink
- Allergies – This histamine released by your body to fight allergens can make the eyes red and watery
- Dryness – Dry eye can make the surface of the eye irritated and inflamed, resulting in redness
- Injury – When the eye is injured, blood vessels dilate to allow blood flow, which can cause redness
- Uveitis – This is a condition that causes the middle layer of the eye to become inflamed, and results in redness and blurry vision